Registered National Historic Landmark Derby Summer House - 
Please help us MATCH a $50,0000 pledge from the Massachusetts Historical Commission.

Please donate today by mailing your donation to Danvers Historical Society, Derby Summer House, PO Box 381, Danvers, MA 01923. Or, you may use the PayPal DONATE button below. 

Thank you for your support!

We lose this source of funds if we do not MATCH the Commonwealth's pledge.


Historical Overview - Directions - Hours - Tours - Photo Gallery - Glen Magna Farms Website

Matching it ! We are getting closer to our MATCH, thanks to our donors:
     $5,000 or more

Maryann and Donald Kowalski
David and Debra McIntire
North Shore Bank

     $1,000 or more
Sheila Cooke-Kayser
Linda Coulson
Cheryl Dyment
Karen and Thomas Guidi
Selina Little
David P. McKenna
Martha and Thomas Page
Ellen MacVeagh Rublee
Mollie and O.D. Taylor

Ann Thoron Hale
Richard and Ethel Trask

     $100 or more

Polly Armstrong
Ingrid and Tom Barry
Adrianne & William Bradstreet
Dale Gienapp
Louann and Gregory Basillio
Beth Beringer
Trudy Cullen
Kate Day
Maria and Jim Dobbins
Bruce Eaton
Gail Eaton
Myrna Fearer
Janice Flynn
Ann and Bill Fouhey
Susan Goldsmith
Mary Gordon
Marion Graves
Judith Hoag
Alan Hartnett

Phyllis Jones
Sandra Lane
Jean Lewis
Edna McLaughlin
Audrey and Roger Michaud
Barbara and Joseph Piffat
Kevin Riley
Martin Rogosa
Eleanor Ross
Kathy and Jim Sheridan
Gretchen Sinnett and
Joe McMaster
Sharon Taskey
Erin Thurston
Peter & Gail Torkildsen
George Watson
Nathan Dane Woodbury
Carla VanBennekom

     $500 or more

Roger and Valerie Carmody
Ann Thoron Hale
Marjorie Huse
Richard and Christine Moody
Terry and Michael E. Morris
Marian and George Saluto
Samuel and Julia Thoron
Debbi and Kevin Tierney

     $250 or more

Martha and Ralph Ardiff
Mark Brennan
Paula and Don Gates
John and Joline Hentschel
Christine and Anthony S. Patton
Hugh Williams

We are getting closer to our goal !
Linda Bouchard
Barbara & Robert Coleman
Marsha Coogan
John Doyle
Sue Dropo
Dana Foye
Norma Gates
Bobbie Gifford
Jonathan Gilbert
Marion Newbegin Howell
Sheila Moulton and Kevin Kelly
Sally Kerans
Philip Krajewski
Peter LaChapelle,
    Fraternity Lodge #118 IOOF
Diane Langlais
Corinne Manning
Kay Maurice
Mary and Kevin McCarthy
Paul Meinerth
David Mills
Kathryn Morris
Eileen Orlando
Robert and Jacqueline Pariseau
Pamela and Steven Porter
Lorraine Robinson
Eileen Russell
Norma and Robert Sosnowski
MaryAnn and David Tapparo
Joan and Emery Todd
Diana Topjian
Kristen Webb
Sidney Williams

Historical Overview

The Derby Summer House (sometimes called the McIntire Tea house) was designed by Samuel McIntire for Elias Haskett Derby of Salem in 1793 and was constructed by McIntire in July 1794 on Derby’s farm on Andover Street (Route 114) in Danvers (now Peabody).  The farm was located where Route 114 now intersects Route 128 and included the area that is now the North Shore Mall and an equal amount of land on the other side of route 128.

Samuel McIntire was Salem’s most prominent woodcarver, house builder and cabinetmaker during the Federal period in American Architecture (1790-1825).  Likewise, Elias Haskett Derby was Salem’s most prominent merchant.  His ships were the first to land in Canton, China to buy spices, silks, porcelains, lacquer ware and other goods.

From the diary of a young lady who visited the Derby Farm in July 1802, we know that the Summer House sat in the center of a garden filled with rare plants and trees.  The arch was open without the lattice doors on it today.  She wrote of going up the stairs to the room above, “The air from the windows is always pure and cool and the eye wanders with delight over the beautiful landscape below…  The room is ornamented with some Chinese figures and seems calculated for serenity and peace.”  It is probable that the building was used more often as a place to cool off from the summer heat and to view the garden, than as a place to drink tea.  In 1901, Ellen Peabody Endicott (Mrs. William Crowninshield Endicott, Sr.), purchased the Summer House and had it moved to Glen Magna Farms, a distance of four miles.  It was so well built that not even the plaster cracked during the move.  At the same time, however, it had only one figure on the roof—The Reaper. After a twenty year search, the Milkmaid was found again on a mill building in Andover, badly damaged by fire. An exact duplicate was carved spring of 1924, she was placed back in her original position. The original Milkmaid is now in the collection of the Peabody Essex Museum of Salem. The original Reaper fell off in a storm in 1981. It too, was reproduced and the original is in the collection of the Danvers Historical Society.

The Derby Summer House is unique.  There is no other extant building like it in the United States today.  McIntire did design a second summer house—for Derby’s son’s farm—but only a painting remains to show what it looked like.  Aside from its rarity, the Summer House is important because it represents American Federal architecture at its finest.  The Federal style was based on the work of the Scottish architect Robert Adam who studied private homes in ancient Rome, especially at Pompeii and Herculaneum.  Walk around the Summer House and notice the delicate columns, the festoons above the second story windows and the runs on the roof, all carved by McIntyre himself.  Check the dramatic scale and careful details of the Reaper and the Milkmaid, carved for McIntire by John and Simon Skillin of Boston.  Look at the building from across the garden and observe the perfect proportions.  Remember, that it was all made by hand more than two hundred years ago.  Louise Thoron Endicott (Mrs. William Crowninshield Endicott, Jr.) willed the Derby Summer House to the Danvers Historical Society in 1958.

Back to top of page


Ingersoll Street
Danvers, MA

From Boston:
Route 93 to Route 95 or 128 North to Route 1 (Exit 44B).
Follow Route 1 North to the Danvers, Centre Street exit.
Turn left at the end of the exit ramp.
Continue for a 1/4 mile.
Take a left onto Ingersoll Street.
Follow the signs to the
Glen Magna Farms parking area.

From Northern New England:
Routes 89, 93 to 128 North.
Continue with above directions.
Routes 95 and 1 South follow directions for Centre Street.

Back to top of page


Glen Magna Farms gardens & grounds, Ingersoll Street, are open to the public 9AM till dusk, Monday through Friday. In addition, they are open Saturday and Sunday, 9AM-12 noon, unless closed for a private function. The mansion and gardens are available for weddings and functions. Please call 978-774-9165 or visit for more information.

Back to top of page


The interior of the Derby Summer House is not available for tours. Visitors are welcome to tour the Gardens from 9am until dusk, Monday through Friday. Saturday & Sunday from 9am to 12 noon, unless otherwise posted for a private event. A $2.00 donation is appreciated for self-guided tours of the grounds only.

Seasonal group guided tours are available by appointment May - October; please call 978-774-9165 for reservations and prices.

The Estate package:  A tour of the gardens and mansion guided by our grounds and restoration manager followed by a boxed lunch.  Lunch includes choice of Turkey, Ham or Veggie roll-up, chips, cookie and a soft drink or bottled water.  You may elect to take your lunch with you or enjoy it here at Glen Magna Farms. Cost $20.00 pp.  10 person minimum. Reservations required by the previous Friday,

The Garden Package:    A tour of the gardens and mansion guided by our grounds and restoration manager. Cost: $10.00 pp plus $50 guide fee.

There are many other special events and tours going on at Glen Magna Farms—check our events!

Tours of the mansion for private event rental are by appointment only. Please call 978-774-9165 to schedule an appointment.

Back to top of page

Photo Gallery

 Derby Summer House - roses

Registered National Historic Landmark Derby Summer House
Danvers Historical Society

Derby Summer House Interior

National Historic Landmark Derby Summer House - interior
Danvers Historical Society

National Historic Landmark
Derby Summer House

Danvers Historical Society

National Historic Landmark
Derby Summer House

Danvers Historical Society

Back to top of page